Search This Blog

Friday, February 28, 2014

Here goes nothin'

I have been on my first official Whole30 for exactly 51 minutes. I'm more nervous now than I was yesterday and wondering "if I can". Up until now, I haven't had shred of doubt since I decided on this food and health journey - mostly because I've been preparing. I've been cooking up a storm, testing meal ideas. I've been making Whole30 approved food choices as frequently as possible just to see "if I could" and, by and large, I did!

Side-note: If you're wondering what Whole30 is, it's a diet that focuses on eating whole foods (e.g. meat, vegetables, fruit and nuts/seeds) and nothing processed for 30 days as a way to determine how your body responds to a lack of carbohydrates, dairy and legumes. It's also a way to put your body into a state of ketosis, if that's your thing (though ketosis is not the expressed purpose).

I guess here is a good place to post my current stats.

Current weight: 141.00 lbs. (63.96 kg)
Current BMI: 27.5 (falls smack in the middle of the 'Overweight' category)

I started this journey thinking "Oh great! Here's a way to lose weight and not have to give up bacon!" and while that's true, during my study and prep month (February), I learned so much about health and nutrition, I'm not focusing on weight loss. I'm not weighing myself until the last day. Losing weight will be an added bonus to jump-starting my healthy-eating perspective, possibly discovering food-related issues I never knew I had and awakening my tastebuds from their sugar coma.

If you'd like to learn more about the Whole30 food plan, check them out at www.Whole30.com and I strongly suggest you buy a copy of "It Starts with Food" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. It's a great read, it's well cited with peer-reviewed articles and makes a strong case for why we should eat this way the majority of the time.

See you in the A.M. with my first Whole30 recipe: Eggs poached in tomato sauce, baked green plantain home fries and a morning salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment